I want to highlight several essential things in the modern world from the course I have taken. The training and development of personnel in the organization are significant layers of work in management. This course paid great attention to what forms of personnel training exist in the organization and how the training process is carried out directly. In some enterprises, this is limited to the appointment and transfer of the case; in others, a whole system of personnel training in the organization has been developed. Companies that have chosen the second path achieve much greater efficiency at the managerial and economic levels, as experience has shown.
The faster a hired person adapts to a new work environment and corporate ethics, the quicker they will demonstrate his expected results. In addition to the traditional practice of mentoring, electronic methods (presentations, manuals, corporate social networks) are increasingly used for this purpose (Indeed Editorial Team, 2020). After successful adaptation, the main thing for the development of the company’s employees is to maintain their motivation and improve their professional, communicative, managerial, and other specific skills.
From the course, I also learned that the organization of professional development of employees pursues specific goals. What goals can be achieved if you improve the skills of your employees?
- First, getting new knowledge and mastering skills. Employees who have learned something new can express hypotheses to improve the production process and implement them, overcoming various difficulties along the way.
- Secondly, increased motivation and stimulation. When a person realizes that the company’s management is interested in his growth, his motivation to work increases. It also has a stimulating effect on productivity and labor productivity.
- Thirdly, the introduction of innovative technologies. Currently, innovative technologies and automation are present in one way or another in every field of activity. To keep up with the competition, employees must keep up with the times and undergo training in IT and automation.
- Fourth, the creation of your personnel. Sometimes it will be less expensive to train and educate your highly qualified employees than to attract them from outside. For some companies, this direction is a preferred part of their HR strategy.
- Fifth, reducing the level of turnover. This goal follows the previous one. Obtaining new knowledge and professional growth opens up career and salary growth opportunities for the employee. In this case, it will be more profitable for people to stay working with you.
Professional development of other employees is most often situational. For example, if new knowledge is an integral part of the work process or, if a change in the work profile is implied, a change in the work algorithms. A professional development program for employees should be thought out. It is necessary to assess the potential of departments, working groups, and individual employees. It is learned from HR specialists, as well as with the help of specialized techniques.
In the field of fashion, it is also essential to prepare the necessary working personnel, especially in logistics. If we want all the shows and the delivery of clothes to go smoothly, we must conduct appropriate staff training. We will assign each new employee a curator who will explain the most basic information in theory and practice using modern technologies. The best thing we can use to attract adults to work with us is support at the initial stages of their work; this is emotional support, control over the result, and the necessary help. In the modern world, employees want to feel that there are employees in the organization who are ready to help them at any time and who will create the necessary conditions for fruitful work.
At the company level, the need for advanced training may depend on plans to increase the number of jobs and introduce new products into the product line. The condition identified during the certification or personal career ambitions of the employee. After identifying the needs, it is necessary to choose a suitable training method. It is essential to correlate the effectiveness of training with the costs that the company will incur for training and the absence of an employee.
The budget for the professional development of employees is planned at the beginning of the year. This way, it will be more accessible for the company to incur the associated costs. It is also necessary to document it with an indication of all items of expenditure. Development of the program, selection of coaches, then it is essential to design an approximate professional development program for employees. It can do it both by your own company and with the involvement of special business consultants. You can use the services of companies for the training and training of personnel.
Along with the program, they will also offer professional trainers. Decisions on its implementation depend on the chosen method of professional development. That is, where the professional development process will be collected: in the company itself or a specialized training center. Later, it is necessary to carry out procedures and measures to improve the skills of personnel. After graduation, it is essential to conduct your regular testing, even though performing the testing during training. It is necessary to create a qualification commission, including the heads of departments whose employees were sent for advanced training and HR specialists.
It is also important to notify all employees that there will be regular testing, to inform them about the forms of its conduct. Based on the results of testing, correlate the goals set by departments, groups, and individual employees with the testing results. Such an event should be held in 2-4 weeks to assess the suitability of the knowledge and skills that your employees have received. Professional development of employees is an integral part of the workflow.
To effectively implement this management procedure, it is necessary to know the specifics of its performance and understand which employees and when they need to be sent to advanced training courses. It begs the question of why adults need to be taught differently than children and adolescents. Children and teenagers view knowledge only as tools to help them cope with academic tasks and get high grades. They have no idea how they will apply this knowledge in real life. An adult student will not take up the study of anything until he understands why he needs it. The first task facing an HR manager working with adults is to explain the value of training. For example, to show how studying will increase their productivity at work or quality of life. Even better is to create experimental conditions in which students themselves will feel the lack of knowledge that the teacher can share.
An adult is already fully aware of the responsibility for his own decisions and their life. Such self-awareness generates in mature people the need for others to respect their independence. Nevertheless, when mature person is faced with the need to learn something again, they often remember their experience of childhood addiction and “folds their hand,” sits down comfortably, and says: “Teach me.”
However, this erroneous assumption that obedience is required of them, as in childhood, soon conflicts with the current self-consciousness of a mature worker. To overcome this discomfort, they eventually drop out of training. An HR manager who wants to educate adult employees should, first of all, helps them overcome the idea of a student as a dependent student. Instead, it is worth offering a student model in which they independently choose the direction of their studies. Adults are often motivated by external incentives, whether a promotion or a salary increase, but internal factors stimulate mature people more strongly. Above a good salary, an adult can put job satisfaction and self-esteem.
What I Have Learned about Curriculum Development
Drawing up any training programs for adults is a rather complicated process for several reasons:
- First of all, adults should understand why they need it and how it can affect the change in their working conditions.
- Working adults already have a specific practical (perhaps not always positive) experience.
- Adults are always waiting for answers to questions about how training can affect promotion, promotion.
- Adults will always be interested in how much their teacher/coach understands what he teaches. That is, the personality of the teacher/coach has one of the critical values in teaching.
- In adults, any training outside the existing working hours can cause acute rejection.
Hence, accordingly, we can assume several main points of creating training programs:
- The training program for adults should be compiled by a person who thoroughly knows or represents production, and essential operations and can analyze existing production processes, including from the point of view of their shortcomings.
- The program must confirm that all participants represent what they are doing at the moment.
- The program should contain new knowledge: a new way of performing already known operations (what it will give), and new tools that will help change the execution of procedures (what it will provide).
- The program should provide utterly new knowledge that would allow employees to develop horizontally within the rotation framework (you work on the packaging – learn the program necessary for the warehouse, do cleaning – learn how to operate a loader).
I strive to become an assistant in training so that people learn from my example. Employees see me as an experienced specialist who always has something to learn from and always advises and listens to something. My wish is to go one step ahead of the company’s need for professional training.
Taking into account all of the above, it is possible to determine the necessary qualities for an instructor-teacher: to know all the operations in production, not theoretically, but practically. In the field of women’s fashion (since I work in a women’s fashion warehouse):
- Know the cyclical nature of fashion (how new things are created, who controls it).
- Know how long the style will last for bulky items and massive shoes (to determine the warehouse area and the necessary packaging materials).
- See how the requirements for fabrics and packaging will change shortly and the future of software and delivery methods (since the pandemic has changed significantly).
Indeed Editorial Team (2020). What are the different types of workplace training? Indeed. Web.